One of the fascinating pieces of trivia below is true*, the other is false. Do YOU know which is which?
1) In the song “Savages”, some lyrics where changed for the film as they were viewed as inappropriate:
- “What can you expect/ from filthy little heathens?/ Their whole disgusting race is like a curse!” was changed to “What can you expect/ from filthy little heathens?/ Here’s what you get when the races are diverse!”
- “Let’s go kill a few, men!” was changed to “Let’s go get a few men!”
- “Dirty redskin devils, now we sound the drums of war!” was changed to “Dirty shrieking devils, now we sound the drums of war!”
Interestingly the original motion picture soundtrack still features the earlier lyrics.
2) The Washington Wizards basketball team is featured prominently in the movie, even though the movie is set in 1607 and the Wizards didn’t come into being until 1997 (two years AFTER the movie was released), and had even gone through several cities and name changes before that. Also, Darryl “Chocolate Thunder” Dawkins never played for the Wizards, even though the movie portrays him as their top player and he’s the one who shows Pocahontas the location of the Panzer tank she uses in the climax of the film.